Friday, November 27, 2009

How do you clip a dairy cow for show?

I have been showing Jerseys for years, and now switched to Holsteins. Jerseys were easy to clip, you just gave them a body clip a week or so before the show and left it at that. Holsteins have very long, course hair, though, and combined with an ancient pair of clippers that are also dull, I am having a hard time. I think I will clip the legs, tail, head, and neck, and leave the body untouched. I will also work the top line a little. Will this be enough? I have been placing in Showmanship for the last few years and since I am teaching a bunch of youngsters how to show cows it is almost necessary that I set a good example and clip this cow the right way. Thank you!



How do you clip a dairy cow for show?

You might want to ask your local extension agent in your County or State as they may have a clipping and fitting guide for you.



Not sure where you live, but I know the Universities in Minnesota and Wisconsin have Dairy clubs that may be able to assist you. Here's a link to the Wisconsin Dairy Club Links page where there are many resources and I would guess something there will get you what you need. http://www.badgerdairyclub.com/links.htm...



Also, check for a professional fitter and look at web sites from professional photographers showing Holsteins in show form. Photos from Holsteins shows should be helpful too.



Sorry couldn't offer more insight.



Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
loan