Friday, November 27, 2009

Has anybody ever shaved a cat?

I have a 5 yr old medium/ long hair cat. He is shedding like he's getting paid to do it! Its driving me crazy. Plus I know he is HOT.. he lays on the tile or the bathroom floor quite a bit. Its been almost 100 degrees here all week.. and HUMID! And he's been getting fur balls too (YUCK)



I talked to a groomer and she wanted $40 to shave him. I tried it myself but his hair is so silky/fine it clogs the clippers. so I just took a pair of scissors and started cutting the hair off his belly, underarms and butt. Poor thing looks like he got into a fight with a weed whacker. lol He was really prett good while I cut his hair, didnt fuss or squirm too much,he wasnt happy.. but he let me do it. My daughter is ADAMENT that I dont cut anymore hair on him! lol. I really dont care how choppy it looks, if it keeps the shedding down and he stays cooler then I'm happy.



Have you ever groomed/shaved your cat? Why? How did it turn out? Any suggestions on how I could my clippers to work?



Has anybody ever shaved a cat?

Yes. I used to groom cats and dogs. Mostly dogs. Cats are much tougher to groom. Their skin is very thin and cats usually fuss more than dogs do. Forty dollars is very very reasonable for a cat shave and the groomer can actually make the cat look really cute, kinda lion like.. Don't try to do it yourself with clippers or you will very very likely end up with a big Vet bill and do possible serious damage to your cat. Also, if you don't have professional clippers, then your clipper will clog up a lot worse and you could easily take some of his skin with the clippers.



Has anybody ever shaved a cat?

You're very welcome, and thanks for choosing my answer. : ) Report It



Has anybody ever shaved a cat?

I used to work at a vet and it can be a pain to clip a cat. We usually wouldn't do it unless the cat was really matted and miserable. The reason it can cost so much is that they may have to sedate the cat. You are better of with a licensed groomer like pet smart or petco because the have a vet on the premises if anything should be beyond them.



Has anybody ever shaved a cat?

I had a long haired cat when I was little and he was a hairy little guy. My mom would shave him in the summer and there was never any problems. She just used regular clippers like at a salon, i don't know what kind to recommend. But it is ok to shave him



Has anybody ever shaved a cat?

I sent my cat to the groomer for a shave because he had knots, he was a himilayan. He was nasty, they had to drug him. He looked like a lion when I picked him up, it was funny. I imagine they have different clippers that woudn't clog. Maybe oil your clippers if you haven't and see if that helps.



Has anybody ever shaved a cat?

Our cat kept getting matted fur and wouldn't allow us to brush him. My mom took him to a large pet store and had him shaved. It was well worth the money. The cat seems to love it and he looks hilarious.



Has anybody ever shaved a cat?

Hon I used to have my longhaired white Manx cat, Sophie, shaved down every summer. She looked absolutely ridiculous for a couple of weeks, poor thing!---but she was a lot more comfortable.



But then I found a better solution! I borrowed a "mat-breaker" comb from my friend, and it does absolute WONDERS! It actually has little blades in the comb (blunt on the ends, so you won't cut your kitty) and when I tried it the first time, I appeared to have combed out a whole 'nother Sophie! It thins their fur out like you won't believe...use it regularly, and you'll never have to resort to cutting or shaving your cat again!



I do Sophie about once a week, and she hasn't had a mat since...REALLY cuts down on the shedding, without all that excess fur. If you can't find one at a pet supply store Hon, you can order one from the Drs. Foster and Smith catalogue; they're online too.



Has anybody ever shaved a cat?

Call some other places and see if you find someone who will do it cheaper; you could hurt your cat with the clippers. Have you tried brushing your cat everyday? My cat sheds a lot to, so I feel your pain, but I try to brush her everyday and it really helps. I did have a cat shaved once, but she was very sick and it was recommended by the vet. I wasn閳ユ獩 there while she was being shaved (I was 12 years old and at school), but she was very stressed out afterwards and seemed embarrassed for weeks afterwards lol. Good luck.



Has anybody ever shaved a cat?

lol. i laugh because i tried cutting my kitties hair as well. i can still picture how i've destroyed his hair!!! i wouldn't ever do it again myself!! i have a beautiful himalayan who is very long haired and doesn't like to be brushed like he should be. so yes, i have had to get him shaved because his hair was matted. when a cats hair is matted, it caused them pain, so i asked the groomer to give him a "lions cut". its poofy around the head/neckline and his tail is still bushy. below is a website (not my kitty) that shows the lion cut. please keep in mind, you don't have to have it completely shaved as the kitty in the picture does. you can ask them to leave some hair, just a very short cut. it does take a little while to get used to, but believe me, my kitty is 6 years old and started acting like a kitten again with all his hair gone. i had this done in may, and his hair has grown back so quickly.



good luck and hope all turns out well.



Has anybody ever shaved a cat?

My brother and his wife used to have a show quality apricot Persian who had won all kinds of ribbons. His fur was so long it became a matter of 'hygiene' and they started getting him a Lion cut every summer. He loved it and it looked very cute on him.



Has anybody ever shaved a cat?

I've shaved a long haired cat because his fur was getting matted. Looked choppy and goofy, but it got the job done. The hair always comes back.



Has anybody ever shaved a cat?

no u sicko!!! u need help



go eat a donut then jump in front of a parked car

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
loan